Friday 26 April 2013

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

We are big in this house on that motto "reduce, reuse, recycle". It is because of that,that our house is full of crap! If there's bulk collection we can't drive past and not pick things up. I mean it gets crushed and dumped in landfill otherwise. Currently we have 3 dvd players, 2 laptops, 2 desktops, 3 speaker sets and a big LCD tv. We purchased none of them. They are found or given to us by family. Just the other day there were 6 power tools on the side of the road, one still in plastic wrap! The girls have so, so, so many toys again from bulk collection. We hit jackpot the other day, a kindermusik teacher had obviously decided to stop being a teacher and we scored tambourines, xylophones, maracas, 30 odd hula hoops, 8 wooden hobby horses and a box of dress up fur tails. It's crazy! But I digress (as I always do).

At the moment I'm trying to grow veggies from scraps(recycle). I've rescued some scraps from our compost bin to try and grow new plants from them! There's been some fails and some successes. Here are a few that I'm trying at the moment...

 The carrots looked like they were going well, but that black mold got the better of them and the shoots started to die.
 The sweet potato has been going nuts! One of the shoots is about 60cm long! I just cut the potato in half today to get two plants out of it. If it's still happy in a few days I'll plant this one.

 My pineapple top is looking good, can you see the little stubby roots starting to grow??
 Beetroot. This is going great too. I'll have to plant it pretty soon.

I gave lettuce a go too, but that just rotted. Pinterest fail that one! I've also just started some celery and we'll have to see how that one goes.

Do you grow veggies from scraps? What else can I give a try? What fails have you had?

:)


2 comments:

  1. Collecting seeds from your scraps - like pumpkin or tomato is fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! My first comment that wasn't my mum ;)
      Would you believe I bought some tomato seedlings in summer and didn't get a single tomato from any of them! BUT I had a heap of them pop up in random places in my veggie garden as we do our own compost, and they are still going strong now! I also have a pumpkin plant that was a "compost surprise" as well as a rockmelon!

      Delete